Sat, 26 Feb|
Merrist Wood College
UK SNIFFER DOGS GOLD SCENT DETECTION
A fun 2 week course for all dogs who have completed the SILVER Sniffer Class
Time & Location
26 Feb 2022, 09:00 – 9:05
Merrist Wood College, Worplesdon, Guildford GU3 3PE, UK
About the event
UK SNIFFER DOGS - GOLD Series 4 & 5
2 week course runs Sat 25th February and Saturday 5th March at 9am to 12pm
Price includes a scent kit with everything you need
Once signed up, join our support group here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/889101404885531
Our Gold level is open to anyone who has completed the Silver Series Sniffer Course. You don't need to have passed your Silver Trial, but you do need to have completed the Silver course (or passed the online Silver Trial via UK Sniffer Dogs website)
Police working dogs can be trained on up to 8 different scents. Cocaine, Cannabis, Cash, Amphetamine, Heroin, Bombs and more. We believe the dog can be trained on many more and this is referred to this as their target scent library. At the moment your dog has red KONG in their target scent library.
In this Gold Level course, your dog will be searching for Kong, Gunoil, Catnip and a new scent, Truffle Oil.
We'll teach your dog how to detect the scent with the following searches:
- Water searches
- People searches
- Noveltly areas
All easy to practise at home!
At UK Sniffer Dogs we have taught every breed of dog you can imagine from Chihuahuas to Great Danes to do this. Scent detection can also be particularly beneficial for:
- Young puppies with a lot of energy to burn - as long as they've finished their vaccines you can bring them along
- Adolescent dogs who are beginning to test the boundaries and would benefit from more focus
- Over aroused dogs who have endless energy to burn
- Working breeds of dogs in need of an activity to keep them busy
- Elderly dogs who are not as mobile as they once were but who still have the drive to be active
- Dogs recovering from surgery or injuries
- Great for nervous dogs - using their noses is like a having safety blanket & is great confidence building
- Dogs that cannot be exercised fully due to being in season
- Reactive dogs that are undergoing training - scent is a great tool to help you redirect your dog's focus
What do I need to bring?
Your dog should wear a harness and flat collar for scent detection. Lead lengths of 1.5-2m are useful but not essential. You will need to bring some tasty treats chopped up into small pieces. Make sure you bring a treats pouch or wear something with a pocket you can put your dogs treats in. You may like to give your dog half it's normal breakfast allowance on the day of the workshop as we will be using food to train them. You will also need to purchase a red medium sized kong and should feed your dog in that in the weeks preceeding the workshop.
My dog is reactive, can I still come?
Yes! This is the ideal place to bring a reactive dog. I normally have several reactive dogs in classes and most people would never notice. Using their noses is a great distraction. Please give Mike a call before you bring a reactive dog along so that we can put a plan in place to keep your dog calm and settled.
If you have any questions please do get in touch for a chat. We very much hope to see you and your dog at a workshop soon!!
UK Sniffer Dog Gold£159.00Sold Out
This event is sold out