UK SNIFFER DOGS BRONZE
Time & Location
About the Event
UK SNIFFER DOGS
Scent Detection For Pet Dogs
What is scent detection training?
Scent detection is a fun training game for dogs utilising their natural ability to smell. Their noses are incredible!
What will we be doing?
You will teach your dog to search for a particular target scent. Once they know what they are searching for, we teach them to locate it and indicate to us exactly where the scent is. We reward them for locating the scent for us by giving them food or toy rewards
What kinds of dogs can do this?
Scent Detection is great for all breeds and ages, from young puppies, adult dogs, senior dogs, reactive dogs, and anxious dogs.
For dogs, using their sense of smell is a natural behaviour so it's very easy to train them to do this. The results are much quicker in scent detection than any other form of training, it's really easy and enjoyable for them. No previous experience or training is required.
At UK Sniffer Dogs we have taught every breed of dog you can imagine from Chihuahuas to Great Danes to do this. Scent detection can also be particularly beneficial for:
- Young puppies with a lot of energy to burn - as long as they've finished their vaccines you can bring them along
- Adolescent dogs who are beginning to test the boundaries and would benefit from more focus
- Over aroused dogs who have endless energy to burn
- Working breeds of dogs in need of an activity to keep them busy
- Elderly dogs who are not as mobile as they once were but who still have the drive to be active
- Dogs recovering from surgery or injuries
- Great for nervous dogs - using their noses is like a having safety blanket & is great confidence building
- Dogs that cannot be exercised fully due to being in season
- Reactive dogs that are undergoing training - scent is a great tool to help you redirect your dog's focus
How will my dog benefit from it?
- Mental stimulation - it gives your dog a job they will love so they don't go freelance!
- Physical workout - 10 minutes sniffing is more tiring than an hours run
- Scientifically proven to make your dog happier
- Reduces stress and anxiety - gives nervous dogs something to focus on
- You will build a great relationship with your dog
What will I get out of this?
If you join one of our courses you will have a lot of fun and make new friends ! It is also a great new skill that will fill you with confidence. For the competitive among you there are timed trials throughout the year that you can compete in.
What kinds of people come to workshops?
We are very proud to say that these workshops are inclusive to all. Attendees ages have ranged from 10 years to 80 years!
We welcome child handlers on the workshops as long as they are able to safely hold onto the lead and follow instructions.
What do I need to bring?
Your dog should wear a harness and flat collar for scent detection. Lead lengths of 1.5-2m are useful but not essential. You will need to bring some tasty treats chopped up into small pieces. Make sure you bring a treats pouch or wear something with a pocket you can put your dogs treats in. You may like to give your dog half it's normal breakfast allowance on the day of the workshop as we will be using food to train them. You will also need to purchase a red medium sized kong and should feed your dog in that in the weeks preceeding the workshop.
My dog is reactive, can I still come?
Yes! This is the ideal place to bring a reactive dog. I normally have several reactive dogs in classes and most people would never notice. Using their noses is a great distraction. Please give Mike a call before you bring a reactive dog along so that we can put a plan in place to keep your dog calm and settled.
If you have any questions please do get in touch for a chat. We very much hope to see you and your dog at a workshop soon!!
Our next Series 1 dates are as follows:
From Saturday 14th March
10am to 11am
6 week course
Ewhurst, Surrey, GU6 7SG
£90 per dog
- Sold OutUK Sniffer Dog Bronze Series 1£90£900£0